Monday, February 6, 2012

I have baby plants!

Even though it's just barely February, I've already started some seeds. I know it's probably too early, but I'm impatient and if these don't work I still have plenty of seeds to play with. Plus, it's been a mild winter, so I'm hoping the growing season might start a little sooner this year. Anyway, I've been wanting to garden for SO LONG I just can't contain myself anymore.

So far the only seeds I've had success with are kale and arugula. They both popped up almost immediately and have been growing well for a few weeks.

The one on top is the arugula and the one on bottom is kale. I just have them in old cheese containers with some holes cut into the bottom. I also started some basil, cilantro, parsley and broccoli but those haven't come up yet. Hopefully they will soon. I'm going to be sad if this starting plants from seed thing doesn't work. 

I also started some cherry tomatoes in the Aerogarden I received for Christmas. They are growing well. 

The more I think about it though, the less I like the Aerogarden. It uses electricity and prepackaged nutrients and isn't actually that sustainable at all. At the end of the day I just don't really think it jives with what I'm trying to do. I'll keep using it because I already have it, but I doubt I'd ever buy another one. I guess it's still better than buying cherry tomatoes from South America or something though, so that makes me feel better. Also, I'm currently using the Aerogarden as a grow light for my seedlings, so I guess that is helpful. Now if my herbs would just sprout I'd be really happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment