Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy 2012 everyone! I know I'm a bit late, but better late than never. I've also been a bit MIA lately, sorry about that. My husband and I were in Italy on vacation eating lots of delicious although mostly carby food. Now that vacation and the holidays are over, however, I'm ready to get back on track with old goals and start working on some new ones.

So far my goals for the upcoming year are to
-Recommit to eating Primal. I let myself cheat a bit too much in the last few months and I could tell the difference, both in the way I looked and in the way I felt.
-Stop drinking Diet Coke. For real this time!
-Continue to avoid the grocery store whenever possible. This also involves finally ordering some bulk meat from a local farm. I need to get a freezer before we do this, but hopefully I can do that before March when Polyface starts delivering meat again.
-Experiment with other things to make my lifestyle more sustainable, like perhaps washing my hair with baking soda or making my own green cleaning solutions.
-Keep working on my garden. It was going pretty well, but everything kind of died while I was away. The herbs, lettuce, and kale are all really droopy, I think they froze at night. The oregano, rosemary and thyme seem good though, so I think they can be salvaged. I'm not too disappointed, I knew this might happen, and I'm was planning on planting replacements for the things that died anyway.

Speaking of gardening, I just placed my order for seeds from Baker's Creek Seeds. Here's what I'm getting:

Calabrese Green Sprouting Broccoli
Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts
Tonda di Parigi Carrots
Snowball Self-Blanching Cauliflower
Violetta Itallia Cauliflower
Marketmore 76 Cucumber
Florida Market Eggplant
Arugula
Forellenschluss Lettuce
Hollow Crown Parsnip
Early Prolific Staightneck Squash
Black Beauty Zucchini
Spaghetti Squash
Butternut Rogosa Violina Giosa Squash
Mary Robinson's German Bicolor Tomato
Yellow Pear Tomato
Amish Paste Tomato
Genovese Basil
Cilantro
Italian Parsely

All of these are organic and heirloom varieties. I'm also getting some Lacinato (Dino) Kale seeds from Amazon because Baker's Creek didn't have the kind of kale I wanted. I just can't wait for all my stuff to come in so I can start seedings in mid-February! I also need to get some containers and soil between now and then, but I'll work on that later. I also want to start growing tomatoes in my new AeroGarden and try to sprout the orange seeds my friend Brittany gave me for Christmas. I think I have a busy few months ahead, but I'm excited for this new challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment